Fordson Tractors 1951 to 1964.
The New Fordson Major E1A was introduced at the 1951 Smithfield Show, while it was in every way a modern tractor there was a clear demand for a smaller tractor and in 1957 the Fordson Dexta was launched.
Both tractors were immensely popular, diesel versions were easy starting, powerful, economical and reliable, to such an extent that by the late 1950's demand for petrol - vaporising oil tractors was virtually extinct.
The first Fordson Major E1A models were available with 4 cylinder petrol and Vaporising Oil Engines with capacities of 3,260cc and 3,610cc. These engines have bores of 95mm and 100mm respectively, both with a stroke of 115mm. Petrol engine compression ratio is 5.5:1, Vaporising oil engine 4.62:1 (early type 4.35:1)
This range of tractors were the last to bear the Fordson Brand Name, they were also the last tractors to be produced at Dagenham, a new purpose factory was built at Basildon for the replacement World-wide 1000 series which replaced the Fordson Major and Dexta in 1964.