Apart from between 1939 to 1952 when the Ford Ferguson 9N and the Ford 8N tractors were in production it was not until Ford introduced the 6X or 1000 series in 1964 that the Ford name would replace the Fordson name again on The Ford Motor Company's British built tractors.
Ford produced the Ford Ferguson 9N in Detroit between 1939 and 1947. Henry Ford and Harry Ferguson dissolved their partnership in 1946 and within a year the 9N was replaced by the gray and red Ford 8N with the Ferguson Hydraulic System. The 8N was subject of a notorious lawsuit (won by Harry Ferguson) concerning the use of the patented Ferguson hydraulic system.
The five millionth Ford tractor came of the production line in 1981. In 1986 Ford Tractor Operations purchased the farm machinery division of New Holland from the Sperry Corporation for a sum in excess of $250 million and the amalgamated company became Ford New Holland.
Ford New Holland merged with Fiat Geotech in 1991. The U.K. Basildon factory became the headquarters for New Holland Geotech. The company name was changed to New Holland in 1993 and the House Colour of Ford Blue and Fiat Terracotta was adopted.
New Holland purchased the Case Corporation in November 1999 and are now one of the World's largest remaining tractor and agricultural machinery producers.